- Learn with Us
- Online Learning
- Workshops and Trainings
- This event has passed.
Teaching and Learning for a Sustainable World: A Systems Thinking Approach (Onsite Workshop)
October 10 - October 11
This workshop is a Compass Education certification workshop, hosted and sponsored by the Tri-Association.
In this 2-day workshop, participants will explore the concept of sustainability with specific emphasis on the role of education and the use of systems thinking to enhance student learning and engagement as global citizens. Educators will be equipped with a suite of systems thinking tools to enable them to help students develop the knowledge, skills and dispositions necessary to participate in a complex and interdependent world. Whether you are running a school, facilitating a conversation in your classroom or working with young people in other contexts, this course is for you!
Who should participate?
Educators and program leaders who want to integrate sustainability education and system thinking into their teaching practice. It would also be of value to curriculum leaders and administrators interested in understanding what
the practical application of sustainability education looks like.
In this workshop, you will…
- Discuss the imperative for sustainability education in a global context
- Identify sustainability dispositions and examine their compatibility with your personal educational philosophy and institutional values
- Understand the relationship between sustainability and systems thinking
- Explore the educational uses of system thinking tools
- Discover how sustainability habits of mind can be integrated into teaching and learning
- Develop unit/lesson plans to include sustainability perspectives and systems thinking tools in your classroom
What will you take away from this course?
- A practical understanding of sustainability and systems thinking
- Powerful conversations and practical analysis of your educational setting
- Useful tools that can be integrated into any curriculum and every class level
- Access to our database of educator-sourced lesson plans
- Professional networking with like-minded educators
- Receive a Compass Education Level 1 “Compass Practitioner” Certificate of Participation
- Become eligible for advanced learning opportunities and a pathway to becoming a Compass Facilitator