- Learn with Us
- This event has passed.
Teaching and Learning for a Sustainable World: A Systems Thinking Approach (Onsite Workshop)
December 2, 2023 - December 3, 2023HKD $3000
This workshop is a Compass Education certification workshop, hosted by Hong Kong Academy.
Are you looking to build a culture of sustainability in your school?
Do you want to empower your educators and equip them with tools for transformative learning?
Do you want to support students with the skills they need to meet our current and future global challenges?
This 2-day workshop is designed by educators for educators. In this workshop, participants will explore the concept of sustainability with a specific emphasis on the role of education and the use of systems thinking to enhance student learning. Educators will be equipped with a suite of systems thinking tools to enable them to help students develop the knowledge, skills and dispositions necessary to participate in a complex and interdependent world. The course will be a mix of theory and practice; educators will see examples of these tools in practice and be invited to innovate and strengthen their lessons, units, and programs.
Whether you are running a school, facilitating a conversation in your classroom or working with young people in other contexts, this course is for you!
Who should participate?
Educators and program leaders who want to integrate sustainability education and system thinking into their teaching practice. It would also be of value to curriculum leaders and administrators interested in understanding what
the practical application of sustainability education looks like.
In this workshop, you will…
- Discuss the imperative for sustainability education in a global context
- Identify sustainability dispositions and examine their compatibility with your personal educational philosophy and institutional values
- Understand the relationship between sustainability and systems thinking
- Explore the educational uses of system thinking tools
- Discover how sustainability habits of mind can be integrated into teaching and learning
- Develop unit/lesson plans to include sustainability perspectives and systems thinking tools in your classroom
What will you take away from this course?
- A practical understanding of sustainability and systems thinking
- Powerful conversations and practical analysis of your educational setting
- Useful tools that can be integrated into any curriculum and every class level
- Access to our database of educator-sourced lesson plans
- Professional networking with like-minded educators
- Receive a Compass Education Level 1 “Compass Practitioner” Certificate of Participation
- Become eligible for advanced learning opportunities and a pathway to becoming a Compass Facilitator
Teresa Tung believes that great learning should support each child to know themselves, understand the world, and be joyful, successful and contributing global citizens. Currently, she is serving as the Secondary School Principal at Hong Kong Academy. With Compass Education since its inception, Teresa has been developing materials and facilitating workshops for educators since 2009. Teresa has experience across international schools, the International Baccalaureate, and accrediting agencies CIS and NEASC on school development, curriculum design, student agency, and Global Citizenship. Teresa holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Masters of Teaching from the University of Virginia, as well as a Certificate of International School Leadership from the Principals Training Center and a Certificate of Corporate Innovation from Stanford Graduate School of Business. In her downtime, Teresa is nourished by spending time with her family.